Okay maybe not every friday, but there's nothing wrong with dedicating THIS friday to FF.
Let's have some good music and then read this silly rant.
Declan Dineen of the Checkpoints show talked to me about being a new guy in indie development and my thoughts on creativity. Though it was a great chat, I realized we neglected to touch upon the most important recurring theme of Checkpoints: That Final Fantasy XII is by far the best Final Fantasy. So here is the rundown:
- FFII - the same
- FFIII - the first good FF, but FFV is just a better version
- FFIV - you like it cause of nostalgia, it's not good
- FFV - despite a boring story, this is where we get the job system with ability mixing, so it's automatically fantastic
- FFVI - good story, inspired setting, great music. No interesting battle system
- FFVII - the best story, materia system is fun. Good today, fantastic for its time
- FFVIII - the one I havn't played enough
- FFIX - a great mix of the being character and narrative based, while including a super fun ability system. Story starts out great, the shits its own pants when a spaceship appears
- FFX - just no
- FFXII - the best, despite a meandering story, that is better when you think back on it, than when you play it
- FFXIII - had fun, but 10 hours in I still hadn't finished the tutorial, so quit, because the story and characters were lame.
- FFXV - 9 hours in, really good.
FFI - hasn't aged well
FFCC is good.
FFTA2 > Tactics Ogre > FFT. Come at me, brah!
So yeah, enjoy the weekend, play some FF and think of all the great adventures you've been through in those games.